Here is your first newsletter for the 2017-2018 school year. Once school starts on September 5th, these newsletters will be sent home via email each week on Thursdays, unless it is a short week, then they will be sent home the last day school is in session. Printed copies are also available in the school office. These newsletters are our main way of letting you know about all the things happening during the school year, so please read them carefully. We hope these newsletters keep you informed!
- We would like to welcome all of our preschoolers, their parents, new students and their parents, Mrs. Danielle Strom, our new school secretary, and Miss Sarah Kieffer, our newest staff member, teaching 4-year-old preschool, to our happy Our Redeemer Lutheran School family.
- Please note that school will dismiss at 3:20PM for grades Kdg-8th.
- Parents – when picking up your child at the end of the school day we are asking that you not be on your cell phone, either texting or talking, as it is a distraction for loading up the children. In the past we have had incidents where parents were not attentive in their driving. We have only the safety of your children in mind. Thank you !!
- Hot lunch and milk money prices are as follows:
- $3.10 – single hot lunch; $15.50 – weekly hot lunch; $1.25 – weekly milk.
All deposits to your child’s hot lunch account must be sent in to the school office.
- We will have water available at lunch time for all students.
- Once again this year for 6th-8th grades: Students wishing to purchase an additional entrée portion only of the hot lunch choice on a given day may do so at an additional cost of $1.50.
- Parents are welcome to eat lunch with their children—the price of an adult hot lunch is $3.70, and this must be paid in advance to the school office. You cannot use your child’s hot lunch account to pay for an adult hot lunch.
- You can now view our hot lunch menus online, and print them in monthly or weekly format! Go to:
http://ddschools.nutrislice.com/menu/our-redeemer-school/lunch. (We do not serve breakfast, only lunch.)
- Our federal hot lunch program has mandated that we adopt a Wellness Program for our school. This program is designed to help students learn how to make healthy food choices, exercise and take good care of our bodies, etc.
- No soda pop will be allowed with hot or cold lunches
- Fruit breaks must be healthy
- Birthday treats need to be healthy (No soda pop for birthday treats)
- There will be healthy choices in the concession stand
- No candy rewards from the teachers
- Grades 1-8 will be having a “Nutritional Snack Break” again this year. The following is a list of acceptable “snacks”: Fresh fruits or vegetables, plain popcorn, cheese, crackers, fruit cups, peanuts, pretzels, yogurt, dry cereals (not sugar coated), plain rice cakes. PLEASE AVOID PROCESSED SUGAR PRODUCTS! Parents, please only send 1 item with your student and DO NOT send soda with your child for lunch!! NO energy drinks containing caffeine at an elevated level!!!
- School begins on September 5th at 8:25AM with an opening chapel service at 8:45AM for Kindergarten-Grade 8. The school day hours for classes are as follows:
- Grades Kdg.-8th classes begin at 8:25AM and end at 3:20PM
- PK 3 yr. old AM begins at 8:30AM and ends at 11:00AM (T-Th)
- PK 3 yr. old PM begins at 12:00PM and ends at 2:30PM (T-Th)
- PK 4 yr. old begins at 8:30AM and ends at 3:10PM (M, W, F)
- On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 9:15AM, we will be having our first PTL meeting. Parents, please use this opportunity to have your child attend Sunday School while the PTL meeting is taking place. There are many new items on this year’s agenda that need to be addressed. The Parent-Teacher League will introduce the officers and we want to define the expectations we have for our parents to be involved and informed about their child(ren)’s education and future at ORLS. We look forward to your participation and presence at the next meeting. Please do not let this important opportunity go unheeded.
- Thank you to all the people who brought “extra” supplies for our school. It is greatly appreciated!!
- All students in Grades 1-8 need to have their hard cover books covered with book covers by Monday, September 11, 2016. Please DO NOT use contact paper. The cost of new hard cover books is tremendous and having them covered helps keep them in good condition. We appreciate your help.
- Please see the School Handbook for our updated dress code policy. (Handbooks are available on TADS.) This policy will also be handed out during registration. The biggest change for grades 6-8 is that NO leggings/yoga pants may be worn, unless they are worn under a dress or skirt.
- Please read the Attendance Policy in the School Handbook. (Handbooks are available on TADS.)
- Cell Phone Policy (a separate, more detailed, policy document will also be handed out at registration):
- You must fill out a Cell Phone Registration Form, to let us know if you either consent or decline to give your child permission to bring a cell phone to school.
- If your child is allowed to bring a cell phone to school, the cell phone will be collected as soon as the student arrives at school, and will be turned off and kept in a cell phone box in the school office.
- Your child will retrieve their cell phone at the end of the school day.
- The school is NOT responsible for lost or stolen cell phones.
- Students who do not ride the buses daily should not arrive at school before 7:55AM and they are expected to leave as soon as possible after school dismissal no later then 3:30PM. If students arrive before 7:55AM or stay after 3:30 PM, the family will be requested to put the child in Our Redeemer Child Care. If parents feel that an exception should be made for their child, the matter should be discussed with the principal. We would like all parents to please make sure that they are out of the classrooms and halls by 8:15AM so teachers can prepare their class for the beginning of the school day.
- The staff will be participating in “Jeans for Jesus” on Fridays this school year. Staff will be able to wear jeans on Fridays when school is in session for the cost of $1.00 per Friday. All money collected will go to a mission project.
- Our church/school insurance policy is now requiring background checks on individuals volunteering in our facility. There will be a $9.00 cost for each volunteer. The background check will be good for 3 years. If you have any idea that you will be working in a classroom, going on a field trip, or coaching any of our sports teams, please go to https://www.ministryopportunities.org/ORLDelavan to complete the information and pay the fee to so we can get your background check done. Thank you!! Please contact Ms. Collins at 262-728-6589 with questions.
- If you would like to drive for a class field trip, you will not only need to have a current background check on file (as described above), but will also need to fill out a Certified Driver Form (sent in your summer mailing and also available at registration), and include current photocopies of your driver’s license and proof of insurance. We have many field trips scheduled this year, several already in September (see the September calendar included in your registration packet)! You can also view our full-year school calendar online at http://orlcs.org/orlcs/school-calendar. Please prayerfully consider helping out by driving for a class trip!
- Sunday School classes will begin Sunday, September 10, 2017. Sunday School registration forms were included in your summer mailing, and will also be available at registration.
Let’s make this a great school year and work together for the building of the Lord’s Kingdom!